A clean steering wheel not only looks great, but it also ensures a safer driving experience. Dirt, oil, and grime can make your steering wheel slippery and difficult to grip, increasing the chances of an accident. With so many steering wheel cleaners available in the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one. In this article, we will help you find the best steering wheel cleaner for your car.
Types of Steering Wheel Cleaners
Before we dive into the best steering wheel cleaners, it's essential to understand the types of steering wheel cleaners available in the market. The most common types of steering wheel cleaners are:
Water-based cleaners: These cleaners are gentle and safe to use on all types of steering wheel materials. They are ideal for light cleaning and removing surface dirt and dust.
Foam-based cleaners: These cleaners come in a can and have a foam-like consistency. They are effective in removing stubborn stains and grime from the steering wheel.
Spray-based cleaners: These cleaners come in a spray bottle and are easy to use. They are ideal for quick and easy cleaning of the steering wheel.
Wipe-based cleaners: These cleaners come in pre-moistened wipes and are convenient to use. They are ideal for on-the-go cleaning of the steering wheel.
Gel-based cleaners: These cleaners have a gel-like consistency and are effective in removing tough stains and grime from the steering wheel.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Steering Wheel Cleaner
Choosing the right steering wheel cleaner can be challenging, but it becomes more comfortable when you know what to look for. Here are the factors to consider when choosing a steering wheel cleaner:
- Material of the steering wheel: It's essential to choose a cleaner that is safe to use on your steering wheel's material. Leather steering wheels require a different type of cleaner than plastic or rubber steering wheels.
- Type of stains and dirt on the steering wheel: The type of cleaner you choose depends on the type of stains and dirt on your steering wheel. If you have light surface dirt, a water-based cleaner will do the job. For tough stains and grime, a foam or gel-based cleaner will be more effective.
- Allergies or sensitivities to certain chemicals: If you have allergies or sensitivities to certain chemicals, it's essential to choose a cleaner that is free from harsh chemicals and fragrances.
- Price: The price of the cleaner is also a factor to consider. Expensive cleaners are not always the best, and budget-friendly cleaners can also do a good job.
Top Steering Wheel Cleaners in the Market
Now that you know the types of steering wheel cleaners and factors to consider, let's dive into the top steering wheel cleaners available in the market:
Leather Cleaner and Conditioner by Leather Honey
This cleaner is ideal for leather steering wheels. It's a water-based cleaner that is gentle yet effective in removing dirt and stains from leather. It also conditions and protects the leather, keeping it soft and supple.
Griot's Garage Foaming Wheel Cleaner
This foam-based cleaner is effective in removing stubborn stains and grime from all types of steering wheels. It's also safe to use on painted and coated wheels. The foam clings to the steering wheel, making it easy to clean hard-to-reach areas.
Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Interior Detailer
This spray-based cleaner is perfect for quick and easy cleaning of the steering wheel. It's safe to use on all types of steering wheel materials, and it also leaves a fresh fragrance.
Armor All Cleaning Wipes
These pre-moistened wipes are convenient to use and are ideal for on-the-go cleaning of the steering wheel. They are effective in removing surface dirt.
Chemical Guys Total Interior Cleaner and Protectant
Chemical Guys Total Interior Cleaner and Protectant is an all-in-one cleaner and protectant suitable for various surfaces, including steering wheels. Its UV-resistant formula removes dirt, grime, and stains while protecting surfaces from future damage. It features odor elimination technology and comes in a convenient spray bottle for easy application. Ideal for car enthusiasts and professional detailers.
Mothers VLR Vinyl, Leather and Rubber Care
Mothers VLR Vinyl, Leather and Rubber Care is a versatile cleaner designed to clean and protect various materials such as leather, vinyl, and rubber. It removes dirt, grime, and stains, leaving surfaces looking clean and new. It is a popular choice among car owners and professional detailers.
READ MORE: Easy and Quick Ways to Jumpstart Your Car
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Clean a Steering Wheel Using a Steering Wheel Cleaner
- Choose the right steering wheel cleaner: Make sure you choose a cleaner that is safe to use on your steering wheel's material and is effective in removing the type of stains and dirt you have.
- Read the instructions: Before using the cleaner, read the instructions on the label carefully to ensure you use it correctly.
- Apply the cleaner: Apply the cleaner to a soft cloth or a sponge and gently rub it onto the steering wheel. Make sure to cover the entire steering wheel surface, including the spokes and any crevices.
- Let the cleaner sit: Let the cleaner sit on the steering wheel for a few minutes to allow it to penetrate and loosen any dirt and grime.
- Wipe off the cleaner: Use a clean and damp cloth to wipe off the cleaner from the steering wheel. Make sure to remove all traces of the cleaner.
- Dry the steering wheel: Use a dry and clean cloth to dry the steering wheel thoroughly.
- Condition the steering wheel (if necessary): If you have a leather steering wheel, you may want to apply a leather conditioner to keep it soft and supple.
- Polish the steering wheel (optional): If you want to give your steering wheel a shiny and polished look, you can use a car polish specifically designed for steering wheels. Apply the polish using a soft cloth and buff it off with a clean and dry cloth.
- Enjoy your clean steering wheel: Once you have cleaned and polished your steering wheel, it will look and feel like new. Enjoy your clean and safe driving experience!
In conclusion, choosing the right steering wheel cleaner can make a significant difference in maintaining the appearance and safety of your car's interior. Whether you have a leather, vinyl, or plastic steering wheel, there are many effective cleaners on the market that can help you remove dirt, grime, and stains. The Leather Cleaner and Conditioner by Leather Honey, Griot's Garage Foaming Wheel Cleaner, and Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Interior Detailer are among the best steering wheel cleaners you can consider. Always make sure to read the label and follow the instructions carefully to ensure safe and effective use of the cleaner. With a clean and well-maintained steering wheel, you can enjoy a more comfortable and enjoyable driving experience.
READ MORE: Common Reasons Why My Car Won't Start
Can I use any cleaner on my steering wheel?
No, you should use a cleaner that is specifically designed for the type of material your steering wheel is made of.
How often should I clean my steering wheel?
It is recommended to clean your steering wheel every few weeks to prevent dirt and grime buildup.
Can I use household cleaners to clean my steering wheel?
It is not recommended to use household cleaners as they can damage the material and cause discoloration.
Can I use a single cleaner for both the steering wheel and other parts of the car's interior?
Some cleaners can be used on multiple surfaces, but you should always check the label to ensure it is safe to use on your specific materials.
How do I know which cleaner to choose for my steering wheel?
You should choose a cleaner that is safe to use on your steering wheel's material and effective in removing the type of stains and dirt you have.
Can I use a steam cleaner to clean my steering wheel?
It is not recommended to use a steam cleaner as it can damage the material and cause discoloration.
How do I remove tough stains from my steering wheel?
You may need to use a cleaner specifically designed for tough stains or seek professional help.
Can I use a cloth or sponge to apply the cleaner?
Yes, it is recommended to use a soft cloth or sponge to apply the cleaner.
Do I need to dry my steering wheel after cleaning it?
Yes, it is important to dry your steering wheel thoroughly after cleaning it to prevent water damage.
Can I apply a protectant after cleaning my steering wheel?
Yes, applying a protectant after cleaning your steering wheel can help maintain its appearance and protect it from future damage.